1. Okay, so who is actually playing in the Super Bowl?
It’s the Seattle Seahawks and the Denver Broncos.
2. What’s the ONE thing I need to know about the Seattle Seahawks?
They have the No. 1 defense in the NFL and that defense has a nickname: The Legion of Boom.
3. What’s the ONE thing I need to know about the Denver Broncos?
They have the No. 1 offense in the NFL and had a record-breaking year in almost all offensive categories.
4. Who should I know from the Seahawks?
5. Russell Wilson #3: Quarterback
– This is only Russell Wilson’s second year in the NFL.
– He is undersized for his position.
– He can scramble (run around).
– He chose a career in football over a professional career in baseball.
6. Marshawn Lynch #24: Running Back
– His nickname is “Beast Mode.”
– He LOVES Skittles.
– He is considered a “power back” because he runs through people.
– He is easy to spot because he has dreadlocks and a dark black visor.
7. Richard Sherman #25: Cornerback (Defense)
– This is the guy who had the infamous post-game interview that you might have heard about.
– He is known for his trash-talking and big play-making ability.
– He has long dreads.
8. Who should I know from the Broncos?
9. Peyton Manning #18: Quarterback
– Manning is widely considered one of the greatest quarterbacks to ever play the game and he had a record-breaking season this year.
– He is slow and will be the first to admit that.
– He yells “Omaha” a lot. No one’s really sure why.
– Two seasons ago, he didn’t play because of a neck injury.
– He won the Super Bowl in 2007 with a different team: the Indianapolis Colts.
– His younger brother is Eli Manning, quarterback of the New York Giants.
10. Wes Welker #83: Wide Receiver
– This is Wes Welker’s first year with the Denver Broncos. He used to play for the New England Patriots with whom he reached the Super Bowls twice.
– He is easy to spot because he is the small white guy on the field.
11. Demaryius Thomas #88: Wide Receiver
– Peyton Manning (quarterback) likes throwing the ball to Thomas.
– He led the team in targets (times he was thrown to), receptions (times he caught the ball), yards, and receiving touchdowns.
12. Champ Bailey #24: Cornerback (Defense)
– Champ Bailey is a 12x Pro Bowler (All-Star) and one of the oldest players in the league.
– This is his first Super Bowl.
– He only played five games this year because of a foot injury.
13. And who is the Seahawks coach?
– Pete Carroll is the head coach of the Seattle Seahawks.
– He’s one of those guys that you either love or hate because he comes across as kind of arrogant.
– He used to coach the USC Trojans (college football).
– This is his first Super Bowl as a head coach.
14. And the Broncos coach?
– John Fox is the head coach of the Denver Broncos.
– He’s coming back from successful aortic valve replacement surgery, which sidelined him for some of this season.
– This is his second Super Bowl as a head coach (he previously went with the Carolina Panthers).
15. Anything else?
– The fans of the Seattle Seahawks are called “The 12th Man” (there are 11 players on the field for each team) because they’re so loud.
– If the Seahawks win, it’ll be their first Super Bowl title ever.
– If the Broncos win, it’ll be their third Super Bowl title.
16. Oh, one last thing. How do I sound like I know what I’m talking about?
– Pick a quarterback and say “Let’s go, [insert name here]” when he’s on the field.
– If you don’t know what’s going on, just say “Come on” while clapping.
– Agree with people and repeat what they say, but add emphasis to their point or exaggerate it.
Other person: “What a catch!”
You: “Seriously, though. What. A. Catch.”
Other person: “Ooh. Great hit!”
You: “That man is now dead.”