Patriot Bands

1-Year-Old Boy Dies After Drinking The Liquid Used In E-Cigarettes

ShutterstockShutterstock

Shutterstock

A 1-year-old boy from upstate New York has likely become the first child to die from ingesting liquid nicotine, the substance used in electronic cigarettes.

First responders arrived at a Fort Plains home at 4:06 pm last Tuesday to find the unnamed boy unresponsive.

He was pronounced dead at Little Falls Hospital about two hours later.

Village police Sergeant Austin Ryan said the glass bottle did not have a protective cap to keep the harmful substance from children.

He told the Times Union,

It does appear to be just a tragic accident.

This is believed to be the first accidental death involving liquid nicotine, and possibly just the second death in history as an adult injected the substance in 2012 to commit suicide.

Liquid nicotine is significantly diluted before added to cigarettes, but according to the Times Union, half a teaspoon would be enough to kill a child.

Containers holding liquid nicotine are currently not legally required to be childproof.

This will no longer be the case, however, once New York Governor Andrew Cuomo receives the bill passed by the state Legislature last June.

Cuomo is expected to sign the bill before the end of the year, and the law will go into effect immediately after.

It is illegal to sell e-cigarettes to anyone under 18 in New York, but there is no age restriction for purchasing bottles of liquid nicotine.

The substance is also not regulated by the Food and Drug Administration.

Concerns about liquid nicotine increased with the popularity of e-cigarettes, now widely used by both adults and teens.

The Times Union cites data from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention stating that poison control centers have gone from receiving one call per month about liquid nicotine in September 2010 to 215 per month in February of 2014.

For more than half of these monthly calls, the question was about a child under the age of 5.

Read more: http://elitedaily.com/news/world/baby-dies-drinking-liquid-e-cigarettes/881175/

Comments are closed.